Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day 2018

This entry comes about because as I was considering what to write as a quick Facebook post, I realized it would be far too long.

In his book In The Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat, and Renewal, former President Richard Nixon said he believed in the Bible except it got one thing wrong - women are truly the stronger of the two sexes. I'm blessed to have been surrounded, and still am, by strong women in my family. I also married an intelligent, strong woman. Each has earned the respect of family, friends, and peers.

So Happy Mother's Day to the following:

My Mom, Cheryl. I have the best memories of growing up happy. We were fortunate that she got to be a stay-at-home mother until I was around ten and she was such a bedrock for our home. She read constantly to us, worked on arts & crafts, took us on fun trips, she was a Den mother in Cub Scouts for years, and she showered us with love and praise. She is a wonderful Grandma to my kids and continues to be a source of inspiration and help to me, and anyone who needs her.

My phenomenal wife April. One of the first traits I found so attractive in her was what an incredible Mom she was; that has only magnified as time goes by. With each phase of the kids' lives she's adjusted, supported, and cheered them on. I don't think I've met a woman who loves her children as much. It's a tremendous honor to co-parent along side her. I'm a lucky man to have such a great wife, but the kids are even luckier she's their Mom.

My grandmothers, Dorothy Diedrich and Agnes Billedeau. Each raised four children, no easy task, and if you knew some of what my parents and their siblings put their mothers through, you'd nominate them for Sainthood :) In all seriousness, though different in personality and temperament, each of my Grandmas are exceptional role-models. My Grandma Billedeau passed away in October 2015 and the outpouring of love and respect she received afterward was a great compliment. I'm fortunate my Grandma Diedrich is still with us, she's such a wonderful lady and I'm glad my kids have the opportunity to know their Great-Grandma.

(As a quick side note, my great-grandmothers were apparently quite a group, too. It'd be easy to keep going backwards and it would take a long time, but some who read this will remember them. They deserve a shout-out.)

My mother-in law Anita. Many folks have a tepid-to-strained relationship with their spouse's mother but I don't. She's always been kind, helpful, loving, and encouraging to April and I as a couple, and to me as a person. She, too, is a wonderful Grandma to our kids and they're lucky for it. 

My sister Amy. She continually give her all to make sure my niece is happy, healthy, and successful. Charli Ann is a lucky little girl.

My aunts, Jan and Kathy. Their kids, my cousins, are all doing exceptionally well in life because of the love, support, and direction their Moms offered them.

The list could go on and on for friends and relatives in my life So many of the women I know are such good mothers. I wish them all the best today and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment