Thursday, April 7, 2016

America the Exceptional, Part One

On a recent trip to Maryland, my family and I had the opportunity to go sight seeing (read: do touristy things) on the East Coast, as well as take in the sights of some of America's prettiest country.

For those who've traveled the Ohio Turnpike, you know just what a barren, desolate part of the Midwest it is: nothing but flatlands and truck stops for 90% of the ride. The truck stops are admittedly superior to Michigan's but they're the only relief from an otherwise mind-numbing ride. All that changed when we entered Pennsylvania... my goodness, the scenery was beautiful: Rolling green hills, blue skies, and a longer-yet-aesthetically-pleasing drive lay ahead. I get why the Amish cherish it so!

We took the Metro from Shady Grove, MD to Washington, D.C. A light rain greeted us but soon abated, allowing the sun to shine.  We began our all-too-brief visit at the Washington Monument, the sheer height of which makes you feel the size of an ant. It was awe-inspiring, I admit. The Lincoln Memorial offers a splendid view of the mall, the Reflection Pond, and the Capital building beyond. To see Honest Abe's likeness and words keeping watch over the capital inspires hope.

What I appreciated most, though, were the World War II and Korean War Memorials. My grandfather, four of his brothers, my great-uncle Bill, and other family fought in WWII and I was proud to pay homage with a visit. A dear friend of my family's was in Korea; he's been gone ten years now but I still remember him as if we talked yesterday. I couldn't help but feel gratitude.

Me at the WWII Memorial - Atlantic Side


We hit the National Air & Space Museum, part of the Smithsonian collective, to the thrill of my kids. The Wright Bros.' plane, Amelia Earhart's belongings, the Apollo 11 cone, and so much more fascinated them, and I liked it, too. You could spend all day there and not see it all. To see everything we'd have wanted, we'd easily need a week to cover all the museums and attractions.

What struck me about the tourist area of D.C. was the diversity of visitors. My family is made up of white, Christian Midwesterners, and we stood side-by-side with a variety of folks from Southeast Asia (particularly at the Korean Memorial), Middle Eastern Muslims, and people of all races, creeds, and nationalities. We were all there to take in the history and reverence in the capital of what I truly believe is still the greatest nation on Earth. Even if you (or they) don't agree, one cannot help but respect the effort put in to making America's history living and vibrant to visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment