Sunday, April 17, 2016

America the Exceptional, Part Three

Our last full day in Maryland was my favorite. My morning was spent with Joe Bussard, collector and keeper of the rarest and most valuable 78 rpm records available. One fellow collector remarked of him, "Joe has records even God doesn't know exist." That may be a slight exaggeration but not by much. You can read about that part of my adventure here:

http://brettbilledeau.blogspot.com/2016/04/meeting-joe-bussard-king-of-78rpm.html

It was actually painful to part ways with him because there was sooooo much more to hear. I did, though, and met my family for lunch, followed by a trip to the most aesthetically pleasing scenery of our journey: Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.

My father-in-law is a Civil War buff but hadn't been there. Thomas Jefferson stood on the banks of the Shenandoah River with the Appalachian Mountains towering above and proclaimed its beauty, and after visiting it was easy to understand why. Pictures don't begin to do it justice.





Historically, the most (in)famous moment at Harper's Ferry occurred in 1859 when slave abolitionist John Brown lead a thirty-six hour siege of the town's armory in hopes of a rebellion. It failed miserably, most of his men died, and he was taken into custody by Col. Robert E. Lee. Southerners didn't take kindly to his kind around there back then.

The town is now somewhat recreated to look like it did then, designed to give tourists a sense of history. What got to me was the stunning beauty, breathing in the mountain air, and standing on a pre-Civil War historical location. You'd think D.C. or Gettysburg would've elicited the most powerful emotions, but nature itself overwhelmed me the most.  

Our trip home took us back through the mountains where it was a balmy twenty-three degrees out. A light snow dusted the countryside and although I was happy to be in a warm car, it was still gorgeous.

I am excited at returning to some of the spots we saw and further exploring our great nation. I feel grateful to have been there, for the experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment